Date and Time
University College London, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT
Field Trip Description
Open from 10:30 to 16:30 at University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT.
Exhibitors from the World of Geology
Fossil and mineral displays, stonecraft, books, maps, geological equipment, jewellery, beads, Building Stones, walks around UCL with Ruth Siddall, Tours of the UCL Earth Science Laborities, Poetry and Geology and more. The Bath Geological Society will have a stand at the event.
Geological Talks - Saturday 7th November
- Geological evolution of the Himalaya - 50 million years of mountain building and earthquakes - Mike Searle
- Earthquakes: life and death on the fault line - Iain Stewart
- The past revealed by the present: human evolution studied with fossils and genes - Steve Jones
- New perspectives on the death of the dinosaurs and end-Cretaceuous mass extinction - Paul Upchurch
Walks & Field Trips - Sunday 8th November
- Sarsens in the Medway - Geoff Downer - Meet 10.30 in Cobham (full details on registration).
- Building Walk in the City - Diana Smith - Meet 11.00 at Aldgate Station.
- Devonshire Marbles in South Kensington - Gordon Walkden - Meet 2.30pm at Millennium Gloucester Hotel, 4-18 Harrington Gardens, SW7 4LH
- Crystal Palace Geological Illustration - Joe Cain - Meet 2.00pm at the Information Centre, Crystal Palace Park
Amateur Photographic Competition
Any geological topic: 1st Prize £100, 2nd Prize £50, 3rd Prize £25
For more information please visit the Geologist’s Association website.
View Larger Map
Important Notice: Bath Geological Society Insurance
Each person attending a field meeting does so on the understanding that he/she attends at his/her own risk. The Bath Geological Society has Public Liability Insurance Cover for field and indoor meetings, but Personal Accident Cover and Personal Liability Cover remain the responsibility and personal choice of the participant.
There may be an element of appropriate cover included in house insurance or in travel insurance: although Bath Geological Society activities are not particularly dangerous members are advised to check whether exclusions apply to activities in which they plan to participate in case they wish to arrange further cover. An annual travel insurance may be the best solution for any member who regularly attends field events: this again is a matter of choice.
Please note however that all members participating in overseas events will be required to have travel insurance for the duration of the event: this is so that participants are covered for Medical, Repatriation and Personal Liability expenses. The Personal Accident element remains the personal choice of the member and again members are advised to check exclusions so that they can make an informed decision about the cover they want.